Wednesday, December 5, 2012


Winter and the Holidays


 

Our Mantle, December, 2012
 
 I’m so quietly joyous. I have a soul-deep peace. I love this room. Our home. It is early Sunday morning. I awoke refreshed at 6:30 am. I have the whole day to just be. It is so very quiet. I treasure our hushed sanctuary. Bright winter sunlight floods the room and fills me with ecstasy. I love these sparkly pillows I put out for the holidays that gleam in the light, transforming our everyday couch and making it special. This whole season is special, magical, infused with glitter and beauty. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Journal Entry from Oakland, 11/29/07

Love Seat in the Christmas Nest

We have a ritual on the day after Thanksgiving that I look forward to all year.  It’s time to put up the tree! Oh, glory! The system we have created over the years makes it easy and fun. We know we’re always going to be off work the day after Thanksgiving, and this way it’s all done and we can enjoy our beautifully decorated home for the rest of the season. Sometimes we even start our Christmas cards. It mystifies me why anyone would want to spend such a special day shopping amidst the frenzied, bargain-seeking crowds.

Our Christmas Tree!
 
This year we began the process on Thanksgiving Day. We hauled up the holiday decoration boxes from storage and began the ritual of creating our beloved Christmas nest. We put on the Messiah for the first listen of the year as I slowly unwrapped the ornaments, one by one, and handed them to Rob, who is much better at hanging ornaments than Karla. He hangs things; garlands, ornaments, etc. and I lay things, velvets and silk scarves on every flat surface and add little glittery touches everywhere.

 

It is a joy to unpack each snow globe, each angel, the rich velvet table linens and the nativity scene Lucy and Charlie brought us back from Mexico.  Every ornament is special and carries a memory of the past. One of my favorites is Reindeer Sammy, a small, sweet little orange cat with the horns of a reindeer that my spiritual director gave me the year Sammy, our orange tabby, died.  He gets a prime spot on my Christmas altar, along with the Queen of Hearts, ‘Neasie gave me one year and my tiny white, saucy angel, and the special stained glass candle holders from Paris, all laying on a burgundy beaded table runner.  I love it, love it, love it all! Our ritual marks the beginning of this sacred, sparkly, magical season.

Reindeer Sammy, 'Neasie's Queen of Hearts, Saucy Angel

Nativity Scene from Charlie and Lucy ( Note baby Kitty with Baby Jesus!)
  
One of the finest nights of the year is sitting still together on our couch, in front of the magnificent tree, a fire crackling, candles lit, listening to quiet choral music and savoring our efforts. I love our home! She looks so beautiful all decorated in her Victorian holiday splendor. I gaze around our home, looking forward to the season ahead of us. It is magical and special, unlike any other time of year.

Kitty Among the Foliage

No comments:

Post a Comment