Thursday, March 14, 2013




Vacation at Home – Part 2 

 

Rockridge Oakland Early Spring

 

Geophilia – Relationship with Place 


Geophilia is cultivating a deep love of place. Isn’t that a cool concept? It was new to me when my spiritual director introduced it after hearing about my love of the Bay Area, Paris, Oregon, Point Reyes,Yosemite and the Rockies. People with geophilia actually develop a creative relationship with place. They not only have relationships with the people and the community, but they also have developed a connection with the place itself.  
 
Glorious Yosemite Meadow
 
I am one of those people. I yearn to discover everything about the place I live and know it deeper and deeper over a lifetime.  I will travel the world, but I don’t ever want to live anywhere else.   
 
Bois de Boulogne - Paris
 
Lake Tahoe - Rob Droste
 
I love the Bay Area. I want to share it with my friends. I want to write about it.  I want to explore its parks, bookstores, libraries, restaurants, music halls, cafes, natural areas, pools, waterways, and hiking trails.  I love my expedition days, (also coined by my spiritual director), devoting a morning, a day or even a whole weekend to exploring the place I live and its surrounding areas. It gives me great joy to develop and deepen the relationship I have with my home. I have fallen in love with the place I live.  You can, too. 
 
Japanese Gardens at Lake Merritt Oakland
 

Red Rocks - Colorado
 
 
No matter where you live; no matter how much money you have; no matter how many hours you work, no matter how many friends you have, whether you are partnered or single, you have yourself; your resources, your creativity, and your spirit.  You have that essential core of yourself that is deeply and irrevocably free.  You can be on vacation anywhere!  Even at home.  Even at work.  Now that is radical! 
 
My Beloved Point Reyes - Spring Wildflowers
 
Spring Iris at Point Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment