Sunday, May 12, 2013


Vacation at Home – Part 10


The San Francisco Zoo - A Mother and her Baby

 

 

 
 
 

Guess what! I went to the zoo to see the new little Sumatran tiger cub! I saw her picture in the Chronicle and I thought about it for about a minute and decided that I had to go see her.



 
Normally I have a hard time with zoos, but I am coming to understand that they are places of protection and safety for many of my beloved animals, many of which are facing extinction, like tigers. There are only 400 Sumatran tigers left in the wild. (Oh, that hurts!) However, any creature in captivity just pulls at my heart. There is always that tension between security and safety, freedom and adventure in my spirit.

 
 
Proud Mama, Leanne
 
 
 
 
 

So for all these reasons, I’ve lived here for sixteen years in July, and I’ve never been to the San Francisco zoo. I knew exactly where I was going, because it is in the same neighborhood as my spiritual director and I have spent many a sunny afternoon on the patio of the Java House café across the street. Knowing how to get there and where to park makes the trip just that much easier.
 
The moment I got there, I headed straight for the lion’s house. Alas, the little tike was asleep and you could only see her with Mama, Leanne, on the webcam, but at one point she licked her baby and picked her up by her sweet little neck and I was very excited to see that, even on the webcam! I hear that she has now made her outdoor debut and I’m going to have to grab my goddaughter and go back.  I satisfied myself this first trip by finding two darling little stuffed tigers in the gift shop; one for my goddaughter, and one for me! 
 

Please, oh please take a look at the slide show and videos of this darling, precious tiger cub. It will make your day.

 
So go to your local zoo! It is a perfect activity for Vacation at Home. I saw lots of cool stuff that day; a gorgeous giraffe, (how graceful they move!), pink flamingos, a snow leopard, (haunting), a lion, (they are so regal!), a magnificent grizzly, a supple polar bear, a pair of penguins, a kangaroo on its back, a darling koala bear, lots of parrots, an anteater, a rhino and a hippo (they are HUGE!) and of course, webcam mama tiger and baby.

 
 
 









I love knowing that as I write to you, take my shower, get ready for church, drive down 580, watch the mothers and children take communion, write to you some more from the flower-filled terrace, wait for Rob, eat dinner, watch a movie tonight, work with the chaplains tomorrow - - that Leanne and her sweet little baby are less than 20 miles away, frolicking, eating, sleeping, growing and loving . . .
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment