Monday, November 11, 2013


Toby’s Angel





Toby went to the vet last Thursday. He had a hacking cough, his nose dripped and he snarfled while purring and eating his food. He was put on a two week round of antibiotics and told to come back for a check-up. Everything went well, thank you, God, the cough and the snarfling were both gone and he even lost a pound. (The vet suspects that weight may be the culprit of many of his troubles).

Toby and his mummy drove home, happy that he was well and even a bit thinner. Little did we know the worst was yet to come. Arriving at home, I greeted Vivian, our neighbor, in the garage as I hefted Toby in his carrier (still quite heavy) and began to transport him from the garage to the lobby.  Poor guy had already suffered a trip to the vet, interminable poking and prodding, two sets of X-rays, and a sanitary shave, and he thought he was finished with the morning’s indignities when suddenly the top of the carrier broke lose and down he went on the hard cement with a loud thud! Poor thing just sat there, stunned on his towel. But then as I went to gingerly lift him out of the bottom half of the carrier he suddenly leaped out of my arms and all 16.5 pounds of fiercely wriggling cat went streaking toward the grocery carts. Vivian grabbed the carrier and I ran to the carts in quick pursuit but he was already gone. I spotted the small opening underneath the mesh of the garage door and I panicked. He has never been outside. He would be gone forever. Our sweet Toby!

Then I heard Vivian’s voice from the voice from the lobby, “I have her, I have her in here!” (Toby is so pretty everyone thinks “he” is a “she”.)

I ran to the lobby, scooping him up, grateful that no one chose to open the front door to the lobby that very moment. Together, Vivian and I carried Toby, decapitated carrier and furry towel up the elevator and she followed me all the way to our front door. As can only be imagined he headed straight for the closet, (opened the door; Lena still marvels about that) and there he stayed for the duration of the morning. Later that evening when Rob put the carrier back together and declared it secure, Toby darted at the very sound of it, huddling nervous and anxious behind the couch. My heart went out to him as I spooned out extra wet food. Poor thing, he had a very traumatic day!

Thank you God for our good neighbor, Vivian. What would I have done without her? Would Toby be roaming the streets of Oakland, wet and scared? How we all need each other! I love living in community. How grateful I am for generous Vivian, Toby’s (and my) angel.


Relaxed Once Again!

No comments:

Post a Comment