Friday, April 13, 2012





The Ecstasy of the Inner Life
embracing silence, listening deeply, union with love, engaging passions, sustaining rituals . . .
 
Experiencing the ecstasy of the inner life is the core spirit of vacation at home. I am learning how to savor the world from a place of stillness. Getting still during my morning meditation teaches me how to get still in the midst of a full life. I know what it feels like to be still and I recall it, even during the most chaotic, busy days. 
 
The fruits of meditation are often harvested during everyday life, and not always during the formal meditation period. Listening during meditation teaches me to listen to myself during the day; to listen to what energizes me, what calls to me and what gives me joy. A period of silence in the morning fills me with hope and excitement for the day. 





The Quakers advise us to center down - to sink slowly into the depths of ourselves. Be as quiet as you can possibly be. Rest in that special, sacred place. Be at peace. Be at leisure. Learning how to embrace silence has taught me how to be on vacation at home.


I discover myself in these morning sojourns. I center down to my core and live in my essence. I pay attention to what inspires me, what engages me and what gives me joy. I get in touch with my spiritual gifts. My deepest desires begin to rise to the surface and I realize who I am and what I have been created to be.


Resting in God is the ultimate vacation.


I have two favorite periods of the day; my private time in the morning and slipping underneath a down comforter at night with a good book. I cannot imagine a morning without a long, leisurely private musing underneath a plush throw, surrounded by my kitties, candles, incense, a pretty journal, my basket of spiritual books and a beautiful altar that changes with the seasons.  


I like sumptuous velvet robes, flannel pajamas, and cozy fleecy tops on cold mornings. I like billowy white cotton nightgowns and bare feet in the summer. I wash my face, put my hair back in a ribbon, sometimes I even put on a pretty bracelet or ring! It’s always uplifting to look at something beautiful. It just gives me that lift of heart, that hope that carries through me through the day.


Wrap yourself in beauty. Nurture yourself in beauty. Be always in beauty.


It is essential to be comfortable during meditation; I am not a fan of hard benches or excruciating yoga positions. I see nothing wrong with drinking coffee during meditation with lots of half and half.

I look so forward to my morning meditation time that I’m excited to get up. Although we live in a very small, one bedroom condo, we are blessed to have a beautiful view. I can see the whole sky from my meditation perch. I see the lights of the magnificent Catholic cathedral and the faint outline of trees. Sometimes I can see the faint crescent of the moon. It makes me feel big inside.


Sometimes I just sip my coffee slowly and stroke the cats. That is my meditation. Other times, I am inspired to read from a daily meditation book, a poem, scripture, or a book that fills my heart and opens my mind to the day. Other mornings I sit as still as I can and fill up with Spirit. I recite a mantra or sacred word, focus on my breath, or repeat an inspirational breath prayer or phrase. 
 

Sometimes I just gaze at the candle or the fire. I imagine that flame burning inside of me. Sometimes I put on headphones and listen to chant or soft piano, taking the sounds deeply inside myself. I listen to guided meditations and spiritual talks by people who inspire me. Gazing at flowers is another favorite prayer. 

Some mornings I am moved to journal, especially if I have a full heart and mind. I find that I must express myself, downloading my thoughts and my feelings. I try to write down an experience that moved me as soon as possible to capture the small details and the feelings as authentically as possible. 


I actually re-live the experience when I write about it and feel it again. Later, sometimes years later, I read back through a journal and I experience that special feeling even again. It is especially helpful on the flat, uninspired days, when I need a lift. It gives me energy to reread my journals. On the down days, I remember that I was once animated and happy and I will be again. 

It is important for me to change it up, keep it fresh, keep it new, and alive with Spirit.


I look at photo albums during my meditation period and re-live the time with friends, the birthday, the holiday, the vacation or even a lazy afternoon, picnicking in the park with Rob. (I’m so glad we took pictures that day in Golden Gate Park.) 
 

Sometimes I meditate on a picture or a postcard of a beautiful scene where I have experienced great joy and inspiration. It comforts me, knowing that Notre Dame and the Breitenbush Hot Springs meadow pool actually exist, not only in my imagination, but in reality. I gaze at the picture, then close my eyes, open my heart and go there. Both journaling and sorting through photographs encode these jewels of experience for me and makes them real once again.


I often write down the things I’m grateful for and copy down inspirational quotes word for word so that I can remember them during the day. Language is so powerful in affecting my feelings. 

There is a spiritual practice from the ancient Christian tradition, called Lectio Divina, a way of reading that engages the heart. This holy listening guides me as I read through various types of spiritual literature. It is a strongly affective spiritual practice, influencing my mood and feelings as I read sacred scriptures, poetry, and my own journals with an open heart. It is a simple practice of reading quietly and stopping when a particular word or phrase stirs my heart. I stay with the words, closing my eyes, silently repeating them over and over, sucking on them like a lemon drop. I let my heart absorb these sacred words until they become a part of me. I recall them during the day like a prayer.


I have recently been experimenting with a slightly different schedule. I’m quite excited about it. It is a small change that is leading to a very profound shift in my daily life. When we got back from Paris, I was jetlagged and yearning to go to bed almost as soon as I got home from work. The first couple of nights I forced myself to wait until 10:30 so I could get back on my “normal” schedule. The third night I gave in and climbed into bed at the unbelievable hour of 8:30 pm. I woke up at 5:30, (without an alarm clock), fully rested after nine full hours of sleep. 

My morning time felt so expansively delicious that I tried it again the next night. The next morning found me up and rested at 5:15 am, (again, without the noxious alarm clock), and I settled in for two glorious hours of meditating, reading, praying and journaling before work. I got ready slowly, took time with my make-up, brushes and lotions and chose the clothes and accessories to carry me into the day. I even had time to chat lightly with Rob!


I felt like I had a secret day within the day; an inner day designed just for me.


I loved it so much that I have decided to stay with the new schedule. I do the best I can, often times, the dictates of life prevent me from getting into bed by 8:30. But I find myself slowly rearranging my life so that I can climb into bed with a book no later than 9:30. My solitude in the morning time has always been so sacred for me. It is the most magical, special time of day. Why not extend it?


I have created several renewal spaces in our small home. In addition to my morning altar area, I have also been known to meditate in the comfort of our bed, propped up by pillows and surrounded by candles and fresh flowers. Lying in the hammock on our balcony, enveloped by our urban garden is another favorite sacred space. Our home is my sanctuary.


This is a delightful luxury I give myself every single morning. It doesn’t cost a thing, but its value is priceless. I arise from my meditation time and feel my hope rise to the day. Possibilities abound. I know the next 24 hours will be unique, special, unlike any other day, and full of adventure. It’s time to snuff out the candles with a pretty antique silver snuffer and move into the sacred grooming hour, beginning with running a scented bath . . .


I'm so grateful for my vivid inner life. It's mine; nothing can take it away from me. No matter where I live it’s always with me.


Thank you for taking the time, dear reader.
Karla

























































































































4 comments:

  1. Beautiful descriptions. I normally think of ecstasy as a kind of peak experience, very intense, very emotional. Your reflections make me realize that there's a kind of ecstatic experience that is actually much quieter than all that -- a profoundly deep experience of stillness that I would never have called "ecstatic." I'll definitely think about this new learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine my delight when I saw a comment! I got a comment! And this is a great one. I love your phrase, a "profoundly deep experience of stillness" . . . that is truly ecstasy for me - I love that state of being fully engaged in rapt attention.
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate how open you've described your medtation! Sometimes, it feels like there is "one" way to meditate, and I love to follow the rules, but it never worked for me. I just love that petting my cats can be a meditation! Little Charlotte is sitting next to me and lest me scratch behind her ears while she sits and purrs. It makes us both so happy to be calm and quiet together; it just never occurred to me that this, too, can be a meditation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Elizabeth! I just saw your comment after all this time! I know you have such a rich devotional time, too. It was so lovely to see you at church. We miss you!
      Karla

      Delete