Wednesday, May 16, 2012


VERTIGO – Part 5 – The Mountaineers
I think on the summit of Everest, we are looking for something within ourselves. It's a journey. The summit is only the destination. There is something that affects you mentally, spiritually and physically on a climb, where you transcend the moment. And everything blends together in a timeless way; you and the snow and the rock and the view and the truth -- because you can't hide from the truth up there; that is, yourself, your strengths, your weaknesses and how you deal.
– Charlotte Fox, Professional ski patroller and EMT, the first American woman to climb three 8,000-meter peaks.
It all started with rereading Krakauer’s Into thin Air.  I became fascinated by the character of Jon Krakauer and his brave, determined companions who worked in post offices and doctor’s offices by day, training their bodies and saving for years to attempt the summit of Mount Everest.  I was inspired by the scrappy expedition leaders and guides and the Sherpas and the unflinching, devoted support at base camp. 
I became fascinated by that story when Everest took twelve climbers in the spring of 1996.  I knew all the characters by heart; Rob Hall and Scott Fischer, two seemingly indestructible, hot shot guides who died, Andy Harris, assistant guide who died, too, Doug Hansen, a postal worker, whose dream was to summit Everest, (died), Beck Weathers, physician, who came back from the dead twice, the socialite, Sandy Hill Pittman, who made all the Sherpas carry her computer gear, Lopsang Jangbu, Scott’s fiercely loyal Sherpa . . .oh, you probably don’t care about all of their names.  But just typing this brings it all back and makes me feel emotional; a sense of yearning.
I have this lotion from Trader Joes I was using at the time.  I’d put it on my face at night and get into bed and read about my climbers.  All I have to do today is smell it and it brings me back.  They discontinued it so I use it sparingly.  That smell is sacred. . .the smell of hope.
What does this have to do with vertigo?  I wasn’t sure.  All I knew is that I was hungry for their stories; I loved reading about those grand mountains and those who lived to climb them.
I gazed at those pictures over and over; I’d read a page; flip back and look at the pictures again.  I looked deeply into the eyes of those who died.  I studied the list of people in all of the expeditions; I knew all of their names and all of their fates.  I googled the PBS Frontline story, Storm Over Everest, check it out, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/everest/stories/lifeafter.htm.
I cut and pasted their stories and made a Word file.  I read them over and over and gained strength from them.  I was interested in these peoples’ characters. What kind of person climbs mountains?  I didn’t necessarily want to climb mountains, but I wanted to be that kind of person.  I wanted to be strong, courageous, smart and able to withstand extreme physical discomfort. I wanted to be persistent.  I wanted fortitude.  I wanted great endurance.  I wanted to be intrepid.
In these conditions people are stripped of their ability to be anything but their true selves, and that is one of the undercurrents in the film. You find out if you're a person who gives help, asks for help, or just gives up and lies down to die. 
-- David Breashears (Produced IMAX large-format film Everest).
This was me post-vertigo; stripped, exposed, unable to be anything but my true self.  Was I going to just lie down to die, or was I going to move forward?  With the help of my angels; the doctors, physical therapists, and you, my sweetie, colleagues and dear friends, my fellow mountain climbers, I moved forward and continue to do so to this day.


3 comments:

  1. So this reminded about a woman named Alison Levine. I saw her speak back in 2008. She talked about climbing Everest. She was the first woman to lead a group of women to Everest in 2002-ish. She said when you get up so high she said climbing is a much different experience. You put one foot in front... and then you breathe for a couple minutes... and then you put the other foot on front... and then you breathe for a couple more minutes. Going a few yards takes hours. This was really enlightening. You wrote,

    "I wanted to be strong, courageous, smart and able to withstand extreme physical discomfort. I wanted to be persistent. I wanted fortitude. I wanted great endurance. I wanted to be intrepid."

    And I laughed out loud when I read that because Karla, you ARE all these things. Vertigo is extreme physical discomfort! Getting up and going to work daily, is being persistent. Dealing with this for months on end is endurance. And though I've not known you for very long, the words strong, courages and smart are all words I've heard others use when talking about you. I laughed as if a fish had just told me it wanted to be good at swimming. It's a fish. It IS good at swimming because that's what fish do. And you, you're resolutely courageous and an audacious explorer.

    Here are a couple of links to some of my favorite of Alison's you tube videos

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1gW5VHWegg

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSWFAwGM2BY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you dear Cottage Darling! Your words lift my spirits this morning. I love thinking of myself as an "audacious explorer" - - of the big, wide open Bay Area and the inner landscape as well.
    Love you, new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Karla,

    I, too, have been fascinated by Mt. Everest, sadly since the 1996 disaster. I've read Jon Krakauer's book many times, read Beck Weathers' book, and best of all of them, Ed Viesturs' book. All in pursuit of the myriad of answers to "why in the world would you climb into a place called the Death Zone?" I remember seeing a video of Beck Weathers talking about KC Madan, the Nepalese pilot who rescued him. All KC Madan wanted was to have a brave heart, and he certainly showed the world his enormous brave heart during the two rescues of the climbers. Like Cottage Darling says, you have all the powers and resources you say you want! You are an Intrepid Heart! Feel it and be glad in it!

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete