Thursday, October 18, 2012


Rotation of the Seasons – Girly Stuff

 Changing the Bed


The Famous Pearled, Tasseled, Velvet Pillow

One of the deepest pleasures of a new season is changing the bed linens. I love my bed. I meditate in bed, read in bed, write letters in bed, work on this post in bed, talk on the phone in bed and eat breakfast in bed. I would probably do most of life from my bed if I could! I want my bed to be beautiful, nurturing and new every season. 

It is a joy in the fall to bring out the smooth, carefully stored, rich olive velvet duvet cover from one of our trips to Paris.  It is truly luxuriant; there is no other word for it.  We also brought home an exquisite, matching velvet pillow, complete with pearls, tassels and every other beautiful thing that can fit on its small, square shape.  I love it!  It has been worth every euro in enjoyment.   

Lindsey and the Pillow!
 
 It is a joy at the end of the day to sink into the soft, clean flannels and read ourselves to sleep.   

Changing the Altar 

Another life-sustaining, re-inventing activity is changing my altar for the new season. I look forward to getting up the next morning and sitting on my re-vamped meditation perch for the fall. I keep a large stash of journals, small plates for incense, porcelain bowls, leaded glass holders and antique trays, small notepads and mementos that hold meaning, like the small ceramic turtle Rob bought me in Hawaii, reminding me of swimming with a real one. 

I change the linen on the altar every season, laying out a creamy cut lace topper I found in an antique store last spring. I bring out different candles and small lamps. I even change the pillows and the throw blanket on the couch with the seasons. (Let’s just say the Drostes own a lot of pillows.) 

The everyday matters.  It’s worth taking the time to create some beauty. Why not change it up - keep it fresh - keep it new? Let us revive our spirits with the rotation of the seasons.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment