Thursday, November 1, 2012


The Joy of Movement

power in the body, fresh air, exercise that is fun, sustainable, healthy , ecstasy of movement, invigorating, rhythmic, flow, fits in the daily round . . . 

Exercise cannot be a part of reinventing Karla unless I like it.  If exercise is not fun, it’s not sustainable. I’m just not the type of person who will keep up going to the gym. I like to be outside. But I am motivated to find exercise I like, because I can’t be happy unless I’m healthy.  Maintaining good health; physical, emotional and spiritual is one of my strongest values.  I am worth it.  You are worth it.   

I’ve written about the ecstasy of the stillness of the inner life. There is also an ecstasy of movement. Blog: Re-inventing Karla
Link:
http://reinventingkarla.blogspot.com/2012/04/ecstasy-of-inner-life-embracing.html
 
I’m usually attracted to the type of exercise that has rhythmic type movement.  Swimming, walking, tennis, hiking, cycling and skiing have all been a part of my repertoire at different times in my life.  I love that state of flow, when I am so caught up in the sacred rhythm of the whole thing that I forget about time.  All movement, especially at first, requires some pain and sweat.  The flow comes when I’m in good enough shape to forget about the effort and enjoy it.   

Swimming 
 

I remember in college I loved swimming laps at the indoor pool in the winter and luxuriating in the sauna afterwards.  I loved the slow, rhythmic way my body moved through the water and the breathing felt almost spiritual.  I often went into a type of trance while swimming laps and forgot about time.  

Swimmers have a special hardiness about them.  They have an independent quality and a free-spirit type vibe about them. I remember one older woman at the pool and her husband were caretakers on a huge estate.  I filed that away in my young memory that this could be a smart way to go; living on a magnificent piece of land in a sweet cottage, and not having to work fifty plus hours a week in a corporate office to get it.   

Although I’ve never been a caretaker, that woman has inspired me. I’ve always lived in interesting, vibrant places and found a way to make it work by minimizing the cost of housing, which has usually involved living in small places with very little upkeep and more time for fun! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment