Thursday, April 25, 2013


Vacation at Home – Part 7 - Simplicity


I want to live in deeper simplicity and broader generosity.   

One way of living vacation at home is to keep life simple.  There is a lot to be said for a small place without a lot to maintain, paring down the furniture, appliances, books, clothes, linens, dishes and generally keeping the stuff down to a minimum.  What do I really need?  There is nothing more stultifying than the burden of useless things.  Simplifying my life is a seasonal ritual for me; I remember sharing with you about culling through clothes, jewelry, books, appliances and dishes. It feels exhilarating to order and simplify my life. It frees me up for what is really important to me. What is of ultimate value? How can I appreciate what I already have? 

I try to eliminate the clutter of too much activity by keeping appointments, tasks, errands, obligations, committees, and empty social engagements to a minimum.  I simplify not only my possessions, but also the way I spend my time.  Time is my most precious resource.  Vacation at home is really about learning the art of maximizing the time available for meaningful activity, serenity and joy.   

I try to simplify my mind, too, keeping it clear and clean by focusing on one thing at a time.  Although there are the same 24 hours in a day every day, I feel like I have more time when I do one thing at a time. Time actually seems to expand.  I dial it down and focus, instead of working circularly, (an old habit of mine), never having the satisfaction of finishing anything.  There is unequivocal joy in focusing on one thing at a time.  Even the most mundane tasks can be fun when I approach them purposefully, mindfully, and from a grounded place. 

6 comments:

  1. Inspiring, Karla. Hope to see you while we're out in California for a while this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lori, we would love to see you!
      Please, please call us!
      I'm so glad that we stay in touch this way in the meantime.
      Love,
      Karla

      Delete
  2. "There is nothing more stultifying than the burden of useless things." So true! What's interesting to me about the stuff that's still around is that we seem to connect items to memories that we're afraid we'll lose (and there's some basis for that fear) if those objects aren't in our environment anymore. We call that giving them "sentimental value," I guess. So the decision criterion is "does the memories this object evokes balance the use of space and addition to clutter?" If yes, it stays; if not, it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is such a wise criterion for discernment, I really like that. I try to save the smallest item from the event that will evoke the memory. . .
      Love,
      Karla

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I love any writing that properly includes the word "stultifying"!

    ReplyDelete