Monday, December 23, 2013

Santa’s Water Sleigh!

Christ the Light Catholic Cathedral

We could hear the Christmas music piped in loud and pure as we walked toward the Boat House at Lake Merritt. We were going on Santa’s Water Sleigh to sing Christmas carols! The night was clear and bright (and cold!) and I was bundled in my ski parka and hat from last year.

Nineteen of us filed into the water taxi hovering on the dark water, greeted by Todd’s rendition of Gilligan’s Island  . . . a three-hour tour. I couldn’t stop laughing at that one.  Clever boy!

Our fearless skipper handed out flashlights and songbooks (and life jackets for anyone who wanted them - - on Lake Merritt?  Really?!?), and away we went, launching immediately into O Christmas Tree as we began our sojourn around the lake, motoring past the lights of Oakland.

I have been around that lake so many times in every season, but can you believe that I’ve never been on the water! It gives a completely different viewpoint of our wonderful city; the Scottish Rite Temple and Christ the Light shone brightly in all their magnificence under a full moon.

We belted out all the crowd pleasers; Joy to the World, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Here we Come a Wassailing, O Come All Ye Faithful, but the hushed Silent Night, nestled back into my good husband’s arms was the peak moment of the evening for me.



God bless you Rob – I raise my glass to many more Christmases with you my love!




And God bless the good Todd and Michael for arranging this fun and festive outing – we will go every year and make it a tradition!


2 comments:

  1. It was a great time, for sure! Very sweet. And a whole different perspective on Oakland from our own Lake Merritt. Special thanks to Todd and Michael for arranging it and inviting us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! We're starting a new tradition tonight as well. I'll post it to Facebook if we remember to take photos!

    ReplyDelete