Monday, December 23, 2013

The Messiah
Happy Birthday to Me!



We go every year. It is one of our Christmas/Birthday traditions. We have been to many different interpretations over the years; the sing it yourself (with Leslie this year), a soulful rendition at the Paramount Theater in Oakland (not recommended) and several times to the light, lilting American Bach Soloists version. But there is nothing like the extravagant Davies Symphony Hall, especially the last couple of years, springing for sound-perfect loge seating.

Davies is truly a majestic place; its glorious expanse of space makes me feel big inside. The Christmas trees in the lobby are so festive and the towering ceiling of the performance hall makes me feel elegant and graceful. Place inspires. And when place is combined with a highly precise orchestra and choir performing perhaps the most glorious ode to Jesus Christ ever written, it transports to another dimension; a dimension where my heart touches God.

The trumpeter was flawless.

And we shall be changed.

I am changed hearing it performed with that kind of mastery. I am inspired to be all I can be; to be the whole of what God created.

And we shall be changed.

The process of life changes me at my core and brings me closer to home; to the Kingdom of God inside of me.

I hear the Amen chorus and I almost think it would be ok to die right then and there; to be lifted out of this world on that magnificent high “A”. I hope God plays the Amen chorus of The Messiah for me when it really is my time.


Thank you, good husband for such an enchanting birthday. And thank you thank you to all of you for your birthday wishes on Facebook, E-mail, texts, phone calls - - - you have all made me feel very loved. And I love you back!

The Birthday Girl, December 20th at Davies Symphony Hall

1 comment: