Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Parc Monceau

I am writing to you from a bench, sitting side by side with Rob, in front of a little pond, surrounded by a Greek colonnade and a graceful willow tree in the center.  Parc Monceau is located in the wealthy 8th arrondissement and is more of a neighborhood park, an easy metro ride from the Bois de Boulogne.
I am thrilled to tell you that finally, on my fourth trip to Paris, I have figured out the Metro!  It is really quite easy, I don’t know what took me so long.  It gives me a wonderful feeling of confidence.  Now, no matter where I find myself in Paris, as long as I have my little navy blue metro booklet, I need never get lost; maybe a bit lost, but not hopelessly lost.
Parc Monceau, about 200 years old, is a very interesting place.  Whoever designed it must have liked architecture from around the world. In addition to this Greek colonnade, we have passed several “miniature interpretations” Eric Maisel referred to in his book, A Writer’s Paris.  We have seen a part of Stonehenge, a small pyramid, an Asian bridge, a South Pacific island type scene and of course, the Eiffel Tower. 


There is also a sculpture that resembles hay stacks from Montana.




We finished the day on Île Saint-Louis, and ate our first Bertillon ice cream.  I had a double scoop; burnt caramel and chocolate nougat.  Rob had chocolate and cherry sorbet, the most intense flavor he said he has ever experienced.  It’s a bit touristy here.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, is ambling along, eating an ice cream cone.

On the way to Square Barye, at the very end of the island, we passed Hotel Lauson, circa 1657, and I thought you might be interested in this painted downspout.  They care about beauty in Paris, do they not?


And on the way back to the 6th, we purchased this pink Vespa for me to bop around Oakland.  Mary, if you’re reading, I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment