Saturday, July 7, 2012


Rue de Lappe – Party Night
Following a four hour nap it was time to party!  I donned my long sparkly earrings and smashing white pleather jacket, (thank you dear Dana Davidson, owner of The Epicenter, Point Reyes Station) and off we went to the Bastille quartier in search of wild parties.  Rue de Lappe is a party street from way back; I remember some actress referring to it in one of those film noir movies from the 40’s.
We ate dinner at 10:30 pm.  That was the party.  The Drostes are usually in bed by 9:00 pm, lights out at 10:00 at the very latest.  I felt very wild – very wild indeed.
We had a great talk about what makes it vacation.  For me, a real vacation is being in a very different place; absolutely another universe from my everyday life.  I love immersing myself in an unfamiliar culture. (Europe – yes - third world country, non – no going to the bathroom in a hole for this girl.)
Vacation for me is no set schedule, but a plethora of options for any given moment.  The feeling is lighthearted, playful, curious, fully engaged with anything and everything.  Rob and I have laughed together several times a day since we’ve been here.  He is a funny, funny man - - razor sharp wit without ever being mean; able to call up the perfect word or phrase in any given situation.

Vacation for Rob?  Basically no cell phone.

What makes it vacation for you, dear reader?


No comments:

Post a Comment