Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Place des Vosges


I’m here, dear friends, I’m here!  It is everything I’d hoped it would be.  I’m hypnotized by the sounds of the fountain, the French laughter (it trills more than ours), and the occasional tweet of a pigeon.  Thanks to years of meditation and therapy I’m actually somewhat sane, thankfully free from desire for the next thing.  And I’m keeping my promise to myself and to you by actually creating something. 

Ooooh . .. there is a bride!  Can you see those white ruffles?  They are positively luminous in the sunlight.  Can you even imagine getting married in the Place des Vosges?!?  Maybe we’ll renew our vows.


This is exactly what I wanted to do.  Sit in a pretty garden in Paris and watch people and write.  I wanted this stillness inside; this soothing quiet; a sacred hush with the tinkle of the French language in the background.  Rob is next to me, drawing the fountain . . . I take a quick peek at his work . . . oohh, that is pretty!  Maybe we’ll even put it in a little frame . . .

I have to admit to you, I am rather proud of myself.  It gives me immense satisfaction that I found an air conditioned, spotlessly clean, freshly painted, reasonably roomy, (by French standards), and well priced hotel in the Marais, steps away from the Jewish quarter, (you know I love), and of course, the Place des Vosges.  As it turns out, it is also just around the corner from this darling brunch place I read about in Lonely Planet, Le Loir dans la Theire. 


I have spotted a perfect nook underneath the window where I will write to you.  Unfortunately, Rob pointed to the sign, ‘pas de pc portables dans cette establishment’.  I guess Little Pink is going to have to stay home.  I will write to you in my tablet with a picture of the Eiffel Tower on the front.

I love knowing that the Place des Vosges will still be here, even when I’m not.  That gives me great comfort somehow.  When I read these words from Oakland, I will know deep in my heart that this magical place exists and has remained unblemished by the French revolution and two world wars.  It has a solid rootedness about it; an eternal sanctuary.

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting my heart pumped by your post. Thank you for letting join you in Paris via your blog. Will get me through until next year. Magical place indeed. Our soul city. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bienvenue! It's so nice to have you in Paris! I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete