Saturday, July 14, 2012


The Covered Passages of Paris - Part 2

I’m back to show you the covered passages after hurrying out of Saint-Sulpice, quite chagrined to see Rob waiting for me by the fountain.
These covered passages are like nothing I have ever seen.  There are several of them in Paris, mostly in the 2nd and 8th arrondissements and we hit six of them.  Most of them were built between 1820 and 1850, mainly for buying and selling, but also as places for flậneurs (idle strollers) to see and be seen. They fascinate me because they are so breathtakingly beautiful.  Thank you God, for the good people of Paris who had the foresight to restore most of them in the 1970’s.  If only our malls could be like them!  I like to imagine myself with a long, fancy dress, complete with lace parasol, idly strolling through Galerie Vivienne . . .
There were a few that were disappointing, due to the cheap baubles they were selling.  But Passage des Panoramas, Galerie Vivienne and Galerie Colbert were particularly beautiful.


Galerie de la Madeleine

Passage des Princes

Passage des Panoramas
We enjoyed a wonderful two hour lunch here at the L’Arbre a Cannelle brasserie in Passage des Panoramas, tucked into a small table where we could see everything, but feel sheltered, (I love that feeling.)  See the lovely white lilies on the tables?

L’Arbre a Cannelle



And here is the lovely, lovely Galerie Vivienne; even the floor is splendid.


I couldn’t resist taking a picture of Rob’s totem, Taurus the Bull.
Created by Emilio Robba.

And finally, we finished with the quiet and gorgeous Galerie Colbert, which has been fully restored and houses an art institute. 

Galerie Colbert
This was Rob’s favorite.  He said that it made him feel like he was in a great university setting; nicely kept; beautifully restored; like the great buildings of Stanford and Berkeley.  There is something very special about restoring an old building to where its old beauty is enhanced, but it feels fresh; the air is crisp and clean.
Since we were so close, we couldn’t resist a hot chocolate at Angelinas, no doubt very touristy, but nothing in the Bay Area tastes like this, and believe me, I’ve tried!  (Bittersweet Chocolate, Café Clem, etc.)
Everyone, and I mean everyone was sipping a hot chocolate.  They came out of the kitchen fast and furious.  We couldn’t stop laughing, imagining it being delivered every morning by a big burly Frenchman spraying it from a large hose into an enormous industrial vat.
Like I said before, we’ve laughed so much on this trip.  I love to laugh and share humor.  It’s so intimate.
I couldn’t resist taking a picture of this fabulous dress on our way back.  Yes, I’ve decided we are renewing our vows in the Place des Vosges and I am wearing this dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment